Request a Proclamation
How to Lobby for a City or State Payroll Week
Wouldn’t it be great if everyone in your city and state joined the
NPW celebration? Simply ask your mayor and/or governor to issue an official “National
Payroll Week”proclamation –it’s easier than you might think!
- Begin by contacting your mayor or governor’s office for information
about the procedures for enacting a proclamation. This is not an uncommon
request, and most city/state officials have very simple procedures in
place for the process. Ask the person to whom you speak if he/she will
be your contact through the process. If not, obtain the name and phone
number of the person with whom you will be interacting.
- Be sure that the week you request is the same week in which Labor Day
falls –that’s when National Payroll Week takes place every
- Your proclamation request packet should include the following:
Ask your contact if there is any additional information needed to complete
your package, and find out where you should send your completed request
- A letter explaining your goal in encouraging a city/state
- Sample language for the official proclamation
- Information about National Payroll Week
- Information about the American Payroll Association
Once you’ve sent your packet, maintain correspondence with your
contact by following up within two weeks to determine the progress of
your request. Ask when a decision will be made and when you can expect
to be notified.
Once your proclamation has been adopted, be sure to write your mayor or governor,
and anyone else who helped you through the process, and thank them for their
assistance and support!